1. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Gender and sexuality diversity in RPG settings

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Talakeal:

How close are the names in your world to IRL ones? If not very much then one thing that can happen (I think almost should happen) is lack of gendered names. So a person transitioning would not normally change their name - they can, of course, like some people change their names for reasons unrelated to sexuality or gender, but that should be significantly rarer. In fact lack of gendered names is practically a default assumption in transhumanist SF I've read. Now with RL names it is somewhat jarring but still possible; with made-up names it's easy.
    That's a great suggestion; unfortunately I am terrible about coming up with names or inventing languages.

The setting is a mash-up of Arthurian and Western. As a result, most of the world's historical figures use names taken from real world mythology, while modern names in the setting are typically simple American names.

Edit: For land owners, family names are generally taken from a great hero who founded the dynasty and are tied to the land they live on. Land is typically inherited by the eldest child (and their spouse) regardless of gender, although land that has grown unwieldy might be split between all children. Marrying into a family, regardless of gender, usually means taking on their name, moving to their land, and cutting legal ties with your existing family.
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2021-02-21 at 03:49 PM.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.