1. - Top - End - #191
    Banned

Kobold

Default Re: Do YOU pronounce Sigil with a hard or soft G?

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    No, I pronounce "SCUBA" as "SKOO-bah" and not "SKOO-buh". I've been very clear on that.
    Does the "A" in apple rhyme with the O in Opera?
    (The singing play, not the lady who had a talk show)

Does the "A" in Apple rhyme with the one in "Cat?"

You quoted him saying that, and just entirely agreed with it, while also adding a bunch of snide and condescending remarks. So that is how you were perceived. Take some responsibility for how you come across.
    *sigh*
    I wasn't aware that agreeing with a post means that I have fully adopted all statements within as things I myself have said.

I actually never once told anyone "you're hearing it wrong". I also can't follow any of the links anyone has been posting. I'm on an aircraft carrier right now, and my internet is limited. Amazed this site comes up, really.
    So in a discussion where sound is pretty critical and people have attempted to use sound to clarify what's going on (as I did, in the recordings) you're a bit crippled, eh?

But no, I only expressed amazement that others pronounce it differently, and hypothesized that it was the focus on the way the "a" transitions into the "double p" as why they were insisting that "apple" and "apparatus" are different from the end of "SCUBA". But apparently, it's because you all say "SKOO-buh", and I say "SKOO-bah".

"If you only listen to the sound the "a" makes, instead of folding in the stress on the word and the flow of the "a" into the "double p", then yes, indeed the end of "SCUBA" is the same sound as the beginning of "apple" and "apparatus".

I had thought that should be obvious, but it might not be."

I mean, you DID assert that the sounds are the same aside from stress and that this should be obvious. (They aren't, and it isn't)

And someone saying contradicting things while acting superior and condescending is amusing to me.
    You've claimed contradictions and haven't shown any yet.

I'm from Michigan, not Minnesota. As I understand it, we tend to sound a lot more nasal to others. Supposedly has something to do with how humid it is in Michigan. Most of my accent has faded from 14 years in the military, but there's still a few words where it holds true.
    From what I've dug up, the michigan accent uses the short-a (as found in the word "cat") as well as the schwa (as found in the word "up")

Make the sound of the "A" from "cat", and then the sound of the "u" from "up." Are those the same sound?

Those are the two sounds in contention within Scuba and Apple.

You have, several times now, stated that the "a" at the end of SCUBA is different from the "a" at the beginning of "apple", and that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong. And you keep citing the IPA as the authority that prescribes such.
    that's incorrect on both counts. It's one thing to call me condescending (It is a fault of mine) and another to insist I'm doing things I'm not doing.

The IPA is descriptive. It is being used here for clarity because it is describing two different sounds in the most common pronunciations of both of those words.

There are resources to hear what sound each IPA symbol represents, as well. (Though, again, you admittedly have no access to any such resources)

The IPA is about SOUNDS not PRONUNCIATION. Words are sets of sounds in a particular order that have been assigned meaning by human brains. The IPA has a symbol for every sound found in human language. (Which includes a large number not found in English, because it wasn't made to tell English speakers what to do)

When we reference the IPA, we're saying "hey, someone has documented every sound in human language. Here are the sounds identified to be occuring in Scuba and Apple in the VAST majority of pronunciations."

That you indicate it's a stress thing tells me you can hear a difference in the SOUND, but might be fixated on the LETTER.

You do know blue text indicates sarcasm, right?
    The best way to respond to sarcasm is sincerity.

You know what else I find amusing?

In addition to being all arrogant and condescending while saying contradicting things, you've also taken to saying blatantly untrue things, while still being condescending.

You're right, this is very amusing.

Post #19, the post of mine you responded to when you first brought up SCUBA, I discuss my accent.
    Yes. And then you never bring it up again as a reason you might hear or pronounce things differently. You just assert that your accent is How It Is, hence the response of "no, that's highly unusual."

And when I responded, I expressed amazement that you don't pronounce it like I do. It's not a word that comes up a lot in conversation. But I definitely say "SKOO-bah" and not "SKOO-buh".
    This is where the IPA comes in handy. Does "ah" mean a sound like the "a" in "Cat?" Or does it mean a sound like the "a" in "awful?" (Which is the same sound as the "o" in "opera" or "Golf" or "octopus")

Another poster mentioned that it rhymed with "tuba". Which is funny, because I agree. I also say "TOO-bah" and not "TOO-buh".
    AGAIN, this is where the IPA is useful as a tool to describe and identify sounds.

By that logic, "irregardless" is a word, then, because a bunch of people say it. Even though, if it was a word, it would mean the exact opposite of how they use it, since they use it as a synonym for "regardless", and the prefix "ir-" denotes negation.
    Given that word meanings change and there are words with "false prefixes" where it just happened to have a sound similar to a prefix at the front, which then spawned an un-prefixed version of the word which hadn't existed before....
    Prefixes aren't a hard-and-fast linguistic constant.

Also, given that a word is, according to Merriam Webster:
    " a speech sound or series of speech sounds that symbolizes and communicates a meaning..."
    The question becomes:
    Is "irregardless" a set of speech sounds?
    Yes.
    Do you understand what people mean when they say it? (Irregardless of you being purposefully obtuse about it)
    I sure do.

Given what words are... it passes the two criteria to be a word.

And now you're putting words in my mouth.

The only, time I have mentioned the IPA was to make a beer joke.

Try again.
    You are right. That was Tanarii. My B.

Again, I can't do something like that because I can't connect any non-authorized device into a government computer to upload in the first place, nor can I even visit sites like the ones you've been linking.

And I never said I pronounce "opples", either.

I can describe it. The second syllable of "SKOO-bah" sounds like Ebenezer Scrooge. "Bah...humbug". That make more sense?
    The "O" in Opples is intended to use the same sound as the "ah" in "bah humbug." As would the O in Octopus. The same as the sound you make when the doctor says "say aaah."
    (Yes, english has sounds that cross over between letters.)

And feel free to tone down the overwhelming condescension any time now.
    But that would be terribly off-brand!
    Nothing is more important than my brand.
    Last edited by ImNotTrevor; 2021-02-24 at 10:46 AM.