1. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Which villainous race(s) are next on the chopping block?

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    But to choose to resist those urges it would need some sort of compulsion toward resisting them. If it has no compassion or care for others why would it resist those urges.

I think the difference between us is that you see the driver to be good (or resist evil) as coming (at least partly) from reason and I see the driver as coming from instinct/emotion. I think that deciding what a good action is can be decided based on reason, but our core motivation for wanting to act good is not based on reason.
    I don't think there is as much of a difference. People with free will do what they want to do. Those wants can be from a variety of factors including instinct/emotion. If you have free will you can theoretically choose to ignore all those urges but it takes willpower and you won't spend willpower unless you want to. If you have compassion you will find it easier to be compassionate, but you can still choose to be cruel. Your example is having a species that has lots of instincts/urges that push them towards evil. They can choose to resist those emotions, but why would they? What want do they have or reason do they think of you resist those urges? Perhaps none yet. So you can have a population that is likely to be evil their entire lives, without them lacking free will (like the "always evil").

So I don't think those would be "always evil" even if they are likely to be evil their entire lives.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2021-02-24 at 05:33 PM.