Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
No, this is not at all what I said. I just said that a Wizard can be tanky if he wants. That's all. If you want to take the role of the frontliner with a Wizard, that's more than fine. You can do it. I'd You can also play a squishier Wizard at range and use teammates. I did say that earlier. Both are valid ways to play: people just seem to have this strange misconception that frontline Wizard is somehow less tanky than a frontline Fighter because they lack Second Wind and have d6 HD even though they have a vast array of spells to make up the difference.
They have been making some valid points. The wizard can have a lot of tankiness for a few rounds a day, more once they reach higher levels. But, if they spend all of their resources being a tank then they don't have those resources for anything else. A 3rd level Fighter has all day AC and damage. A 3rd level Wizard has... 4 1st level spell slots and 2 2nd level spell slots, I believe. And, they can't use any of those spell slots for teleporting, or damaging the enemy, or even buffing the party, because they're saving them in case they get hit. And, since they're upfront, they'll be getting hit a lot more often than they normally would. And, once they run out of spells, they can short rest to get 1 level 1 spell slot back. But, only once. And, then that's it. So, yeah, they can do it. Whether or not they're as effective as a fighter, who can keep it up all day, that's an individual opinion that you guys don't agree on.