Thread: WandaVision

1. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: WandaVision

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    yes, but not necessarily. Strange's magic appears to be more science-based then actual magic, using physics to manipulate physics rather then magical energy.
    Spoiler
    Show

Define "Actual Magic"

If the laws of the universe were such that you could say some words, wave your hands in the correct manner, and make a pencil stand up and dance, we could call that "physics" the same way that you can use one piece of metal to push around some paperclips without touching them, and we could call the medium by which you made the pencil dance "Magic" the same way we call the force that moves the paperclips "Magnetism".

The Comics make a difference between innately chaotic "Magic", and so advanced it's basically magic "Science". There's a Doctor Strange arc that specifically defines Galactus, a giant purple spacegod who eats the life force of planets, as a being of "Science", with Magic being specifically chaotic and less controllable.

But, as much as this contradicts my next point, I don't see why we need to assume the MCU is going to make that distinction. Heck, I don't even think the Comics treat that as a hard and fast rule outside that one particular run of Doctor Strange.

Spoiler
    Show
    Comic logic doesn't really apply here, as the comics and movies are two entirely seperate things with different rulesets. Movies are based on the comics yes, but they are not interchangeable.
    Spoiler
    Show
    While we're speculating, comics are as fine a place to start as any.
    Until they get around to retconning Mutants into the MCU, I doubt Wanda is a Mutant whose X-Gene makes her Innately Good at Magic, but a similar arrangement, where she and Doctor Strange are doing the same thing, but she's got an innate ability and direct control, while he's using practiced technique and specialized tools, seems likely from what we saw here
    Last edited by BRC; 2021-02-26 at 12:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]