View Single Post

Thread: Cobra Kai

1. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Cobra Kai

Spoiler: Review bellow contains slight spoilers; Read at your own Discretion.
    Show
    Cobra Kai is surprisingly good. I was skeptical at first, especially after the disapointment of Karate Kung Fu Kid 5 (I know, Jakie Chan is awesome, but the film sucked... you can't name a film "Karate Kid" and make it into a Kung Fu movie; Also, the plot was practically Karate Kid 1, just reimagined, and excluding the Karate part). But it turned out to be everything of a rightful hair to the Karate Kid franchise, something I doubted a series could make happen, yet here we are. It is very packed with nostalgia, and I absolutelly can't get enough of the flashbacks to movie scenes. It also has an interesting plotline, that keeps younger viewers who may start with the series engaged.

Johnny, from a total jerk as depicted in the original movie has developed into a very relatable character that depicts a person who grew up a different era, and his troubles adapting to this too new and ever-changing societty that's evolved into something almost alien. Daniel, on the other hand, shows us the succesful buisnessman he has become, his transition from child to adult, and then, re-embracing the child within, to finally find a compremise between his adult life and his childhood's principles.

Finally Kresse, a total sociopath, has a prequel character development that not only makes him more relatable, but pierces through this mask of Nihilistic-Machiavellic "Big fish eats small fish" philosophy of his, and helps the audiance actually understand his perspective on things, and why his mind is so messed up. You may not agree with him or root for him, but in the end, you'll end up sympathising and feeling pitty for him.

So far, it's one of my favorite series of the last decade or so. The plot may be simple enough, but it's blending of nostalgia and reviving a cult film's setting, the excelent depiction of a relativelly lost genre of movies and the fact they brought back the original actors all help you immerse yourself in this beutyful series. It's definitelly worth watching, if anything, for the wide variety of feelings you'll experiance.

From an editing perspective, I especially appreciate their take of not filling the whole episodes with backround music/sound effects, which appears to be the new norm for series and movies nowdays, and instead opted for natural sound. The opposite really messes up my immersion in the movie/series I watch, and I'm not a fan of this approach in general. Feels like a way to cover up for mediocre dialogue.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2021-02-26 at 09:01 PM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer