View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1227 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #537
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #1227 - The Discussion Thread

I suspect Miko's fall might have had more to do with her oath than any alignment shift.

If a paladin had ever chosen to break the oath to interfere with other Gates, that might not have been enough to lose their Lawful status in itself (certainly not their Good status), but maybe they still would have fallen since they made a specific promise and probably swore by or to the gods. They get their powers in exchange for living by their vows. Breaking those vows should be enough to lose powers regardless of if they are still a more Roy-style, adaptable Lawful Good in alignment.

Paladins who play fast and loose with the Lawful Good part (as Miko was already doing by not "showing a concern for the dignity of sentient beings" as Roy put it, and as seems to fit many of the extra-material paladins as well) but follow the specific promises made in their oaths may be less likely to fall.

Presumably, Miko swore to abide by the rules of the Sapphire Guard, including those indicating that she should have let the magistrate be called rather than murder Shojo where he sat.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think it fits with the depiction of the gods and celestials in OotS-verse who are not necessarily all-knowing all of the time, and prize "trying."
    Last edited by Good Coyote; 2021-03-06 at 10:55 PM.