Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
All that proves is that you personally believe your magic is granted by a deity. It doesn't prove the deity's existence. You say you talked to a deity? Cool, get in line behind every prophet in history. You have miracles to back it up? That just proves the existence of magic, not the existence of Mystra. And miracles can be faked, so it might not even prove the existence of magic!
This is, of course, the problem with claiming ANY supernatural ability that could be generated from a D&D class.
You say that you're a Wizard and that you can do magic? Or maybe you're just a pyrotechnics expert and you have a team of guys nearby hitting detonators according to code-words heard through a radio. What, you can only throw that "fireball" 3 times per day? Or maybe you just need me to go away for 8 hours so that you can reset the charges and hid all the evidence!

The problem is, I probably could prove to a sceptic that my Cleric class-levels are real, but I'd quite literally have to do it one sceptic at a time - demonstrating a spell or ability just for them in a controlled environment to eliminate any possibility of obfuscation, to their satisfaction. Even then some people would just refuse whatever evidence I could provide because it was me giving it to them, just as Flat-Earthers still exist IRL.

Hell, this is an argument that even exists within D&D - are Gods truly divine, or are they just immensely powerful beings who demand worship? Is there even a difference between the two things? That depends on whether you're asking a Wizard or a Cleric, to begin with.... There is a certain amount of good-faith required in the exercise that I couldn't necessarily get from everyone, but I think with time and strategy I could get enough people to believe me.

Then again, this is assuming that my goal is to prove the existence of a specific deity. If my goal was to create upheaval in society in general, I'm one True Resurrection away from being able to prove or disprove the existence of the afterlife, the result of which will have heavy implications for any religion or culture and would be nigh-indisputable if I started with a finger bone and ended up with a breathing, talking Albert Einstein or Kurt Cobain doing a Q&A.