Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
"Casters, particularly Wizards, are all absent-minded academics who don't grok the real world - that's why only someone 'grounded' can make a decent plan or notice the obvious."

Not to say that doesn't exist either. I recall hearing about a Wizard who fit that description pretty well, name started with a 'Q' I think ... But it's not a requirement! You can in fact have a caster who has common sense.
Lol. Technically, I think, it's less "the real world" and more "but why wouldn't Fireball / Maze / Evards Black Tentacles / Faerie Fire / Haste / Summoning Giant Toads / whatever be the correct answer here?" that tends to trip him up.

He doesn't try to solve muggle problems, like a cliff. And, if the muggles ask for a solution to said cliff, it's anyone's guess whether he'll suggest Fly, Spider Climb, Feather Fall, Web, Polymorph, Summon Giant Spiders, Teleportation, Wall of Stone, Stone Shape, Polymorph Any Object, Otiluke's Telekinetic Sphere, Worldgate, Animate Objects, or Spelljamming.

I guess those could be considered missing the obvious, or not grounded, I suppose…