View Single Post

Thread: Intelligence is not a superpower

1. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Intelligence is not a superpower

Quote Originally Posted by martixy View Post
    Yea, neither is strength, until it gets to lifting boulders and snapping trees with your bare hands.
    Neither is dexterity, until you're running faster than the speed of sound or juggling 20 swords while riding a unicycle with 1 foot and playing the violin with the other.

I feel like your viewpoint is colored(more like stained) from being deeply embedded in a highly traditional academic environment.

There is a lot to unpack here and I'm too lazy to do it properly. I think I'll do the abridged versions.

1. Superhuman intelligence is a superpower. Like superhuman strength. It's kind of in the name.
    2. The source books detail what's in the domain of intelligence. People not being able to tell charisma or wisdom apart from intelligence is those people's problem.
    3. Intelligence is a nebulous collection of various cognitive abilities, and being intelligent does not mean that you are automatically better or even passably good at all of them. Heck, even rationality isn't terribly correlated to high IQ (https://www.popsci.com/the-intelligence-trap/) (which likely means little else than that rational intelligence isn't among the intelligence traits measured by IQ tests). So be very careful what you mean when you say "smart people".
    4. There's probably a lot to be said about "pet models" and "hammering everything into conformance" that I'm not qualified enough to talk about. All I have are second hand accounts about the many pressures the academic systems puts on those within beyond the intellectual pursuits.
    5. Your final plea is a decent one and the very first sentence of the first response already addresses the likely primary cause for your consternation. However it finds poor support in anything that came before.

My take on this is that intelligence as a superpower can take many different forms. From genuis level expertise in many fields, to near omniscience in a single specialized domain. A character might a brilliant planner, or a ridiculous fountain of knowledge, or a Holmesian deductive genius.

Also a 20 INT 5e wizard might not be batman (bounded accuracy - boo), but my 40 INT 3.5e wizard puts Batman to shame. He puts the genetically augmented love child of Batman, Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes to shame. He plans his morning dump using at least a dozen Xanatos Gambits.
    None of those things are actually mechanically defined. Nothing in the Intelligence ability score says that you're a good planner. That's entirely an out-of-RAW statement, imposed by personal choice. Or even particularly inventive. You know lots of things. You can reason from existing data fast. Doesn't mean you do, or that you're good at anticipating others' actions, or distinguishing bad assumptions that underly those "facts" or any of that. It's entirely unfounded in anything mechanical.

It's basically just a "I'm special, because special" thing that has no rules support whatsoever.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2021-03-17 at 11:45 AM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.