Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
I'd say it's less John was revealed to be a massive hypocrite, and more he became one. I think he genuinely believed in what he was preaching, he just lost control and went to the dark side when placed in a position of power (exactly like he was afraid of doing, which is why he pretended to be powerless in the first place).
Considering this is the second time that things turn out like this? John definitely can't deal with power.
I think he even shouted at Arlo* during one of his rants that he just wanted to stay out of everything.

The issue is that he didn't start powerful.
His dad had no Ability, he started without one, the people in his neighbourhood were probably low-rankers, his friends definitely were.

So he never learned to deal with power, because he had no one to teach him, because the society he lives in doesn't expect people to raise that far.

So when he discovered his ability? When he became powerful? All he knew was how to lash out, how to kick down anyone weaker he perceived as opposing him.

Which because he started so low- and because unlike other low-rankers he never kept his head down and predictably got beaten for it -was everyone. Even his closest friends when they told him he went too far.

Mind you, the real problem is the system and those upholding it. Might makes right is not the most ideal fundament to build a society on.

*Who couldn't understand this before everything he went through. Because it literally goes against all he was taught. Same with the distrust others had for the authorities. With his aunt being part of them, how could he?

It's Imo also why he couldn't uphold Rei's ideals**.
Even leaving aside that as a second year who just inherited the position, with him being born into power, into a family strongly tied to the system, with a upbringing like that Arlo sees the flaws in said system even less than others.

**Who started out as a mid-rank if I recall correctly.