Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
That’s quite a claim, especially when set against the entire franchise, which includes some great film scores.

I was commenting specifically about the music in the first season, which feels much more akin to music from TOS. When I notice it, it feels very stilted and awkward, much like some of the lighting and camerawork from first season.
The SFDebris quote he was talking about (looking at the episode Justice at about 7:21.) was actually just comparing pre-Berman Star Trek TNG, and specifically Season 1, to the Berman era and not the franchise as a whole and certainly not the film scores. There were a few composers during this time, but Ron Jones has been most vocal about the changes Berman demanded, that the music not be "too noticeable" according to Jones, who was fired from TNG around season 4. Post Season 3, the music does tend to just fade away, comprising more of just repeated themes and background mood.

I actually do prefer a lot of the early TNG music to later TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT for this reason.