View Single Post

Thread: What makes an RPG good?

1. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What makes an RPG good?

Quote Originally Posted by MoiMagnus View Post
    I'm doubtful of that, though it might depends on what you call "complexity".

A lot of peoples like the depth that complexity allows.
    But I don't know anybody who would prefer a D&D in which every ability score is a multiple of 0.73 instead of an integer [and the modifier associated is ((N*1.37)-10)/2, rounded down, so same game balance] just for the sake of complexity.

Complexity is the cost of interesting features of a game, but it's still a cost and you don't want to overpay.
    We want a simple foundation that has no upper ceiling on the possible (optional) complexity that's available.

For example, rolling a die to see if you succeed has a very low ceiling.

Having a pool of d6s to represent your actions, and you can spend as many as you want on a single action and you can't do any action more than once, has a relatively high ceiling despite a fairly low floor.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-04-01 at 02:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!