Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
The SFDebris quote he was talking about (looking at the episode Justice at about 7:21.) was actually just comparing pre-Berman Star Trek TNG, and specifically Season 1, to the Berman era and not the franchise as a whole and certainly not the film scores. There were a few composers during this time, but Ron Jones has been most vocal about the changes Berman demanded, that the music not be "too noticeable" according to Jones, who was fired from TNG around season 4. Post Season 3, the music does tend to just fade away, comprising more of just repeated themes and background mood.

I actually do prefer a lot of the early TNG music to later TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT for this reason.
Yeah, that's why I specified television, because they ain't paying Jerry Goldsmith for regular TV compositions.

If you want a straightforward example of where early TNG Ron Jones music is peak TV Trek music, then watch or listen to the sound track on Q Who or Best of Both Worlds and compare it to any other occasion where the Borg appear later on in TNG, Voyager, or Enterprise. Jones' music sells those episodes and made the Borg feel like the oppressive force they were intended to be, while later composers just made fairly indistinct tense action-y kind of music.

I can't speak for Discovery though as I barely remember any of its music, nor can I recall much of ST: Picard's OST outside of the persistent - if pleasant - use of the flute.