Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
I had totally forgotten that part of Wildered Quest, but you're totally right. Also, I knew the Chandra thing, so that is my bad for mischaracterizing it.

As to Garruk, there are a few issues. First, the Twins don't actually have a reliable way to contact him. Second, from a meta perspective if he were in the story he would have a card, and unless we've been lied to we know all of the walkers for this set.

Also, technically Zimone is also a legacy, her grandmother was a famous Quandrix mage who went missing years before. (Spooooooky plot hooks.)

I kind of agree there. I prefer child prodigy characters to be somewhat self-conscious and aware of the fact that things don't come as easily to others as to them, because otherwise they almost invariably end up reading like self-centered brats who look down upon the simple-minded fools that surround them. Unfortunately, from her flavor text and the semi-canon preview article Zimone seems more the former than the latter. On top of that, while the overall flavor of Quandrix feels like it fits real math and physics minded people, the specifics we have gotten feel like they were written by people who think that all high-level math is either competitive glasses-pushing or Iron Man saying "Find me that eigenvector... invert it... I've discovered time travel." As someone who really likes math, the fact that their big characterization tagline on reveal day was that they "recite pi backwards" annoys me to know end, because it is an obvious and fundamental misunderstanding of one of the main things that makes pi significant as a number.

Also, real fractals are beautiful and interesting. Why don't the fractal tokens look like real fractals?

On a completely unrelated note, according to the map in the Planeswalkers' Guide to Arcavios, the detention bog is like 500 miles away from the school (I'm exaggerating, but it really is far). Why?
I forgot about her grandma vanishing and being important, fair point. That said I don't think that means she's old money in the way Rootha's family is. And I'm shocked people aren't liking Quandrix, it really gets into the beauty and wonder of math. I'm not a math person myself, but I can get why people like it, when looking at it from this lens.

For what it is worth, I know from one of the writers for MTG that I follow that the intent of a lot of that stuff IS to annoy people. The Quandrix like to tease people sometimes.