1. - Top - End - #1464
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I forgot about her grandma vanishing and being important, fair point. That said I don't think that means she's old money in the way Rootha's family is. And I'm shocked people aren't liking Quandrix, it really gets into the beauty and wonder of math. I'm not a math person myself, but I can get why people like it, when looking at it from this lens.

For what it is worth, I know from one of the writers for MTG that I follow that the intent of a lot of that stuff IS to annoy people. The Quandrix like to tease people sometimes.
    That's sort of my point. Conceptually, the Quandrix are great, and their deans feel the most real to me of any of them. The flavor on the cards works too, mostly. My issue is that so far in their promotional materials they haven't been matching that. I am specifically focusing on the "pi backwards" thing and the Quandrix campus tour card reveal article, which to me read as mostly lazy technobabble and poorly executed snark with a few cards thrown in. In fairness, those articles ALWAYS read like that, but here it felt especially egregious. Your point about it being somewhat intentional is part of the issue. Creative gave marketing a college full of beautiful imagery and people who are, for the most part, passionate about math, physics, learning, and teaching, and marketing gave us a preview article where this was all characterized as a cross between Princess Unikitty shouting "Business Business Business" and White Hat from xkcd and the first impression we got of the Quandrix focus student was overall fairly negative. I honestly expect that when she does turn up in the story it will be as a much more well-rounded character, and that when we actually interact with the Quandrix students in the story they will better reflect what we have seen on the cards and what I am hoping for, it's just that we haven't seen any of that yet.

On a completely unrelated note, there are a ridiculously large number of non-printer related production issues in this set. Some of the JP Mystical Archive art got swapped, the Prismari Commander got the wrong epithet in his own textbox, there is an Orc with type Elf in its alternate art, and the set's obligatory busted Simic Quandrix mythic MDFC has two different costs for the back side depending on the version. I feel like someone either needs to be hired or someone needs to be fired and I'm not sure which.

EDIT: So, after some investigation it seems that the last two issues are only on the digital images and not the printed cards, but still.
    Last edited by Personification; 2021-04-02 at 04:36 PM.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!