Quote Originally Posted by sambojin View Post
Druids are tricky to multiclass out of. Or rather, they're really easy, especially Shepherds, but staying druid gives you so much.

Lvl7: lvl4 spells. If all you use this for is occasionally casting Tidal Wave or Ice Storm, then that's fine. It's still more damage + CC with no concentration. Or just more Conjures for you. Conjure Woodland Beings can be brokenly strong.

Lvl8: flying wildshape. Save your concentration, be a bird. Have another lvl4 slot too.

Lvl9: have a lvl5 slot. Hey, you can now properly upcast Conjure Animals. Yay!

Lvl10: It's nice doing it twice. Your totems now drip-heal conjured stuff too. This is actually pretty massive. Makes conjuring big things so much better.

Lvl11: yep, lvl6 spells. Upcast Woodland Beings. Or just more-more upcasted Conjure Animals. You also do have other spells as well, just for variety :)

Lvl12: have an ASI. This is "the weakest level". The one that makes your concentration nearly unbreakable or your Wis be 20. Or gives you a funky feat just for laughs.

Lvl13: lvl7 slot. Double-upcast conjures, so you get plenty of big things. Or entire farms worth of smaller ones.

It's only at or about lvl14 that you really stop getting "really nice stuff" with a shepherd. I mean, you *can* multiclass anytime after 6th, but there's not a lack of good things to have by going more druid. Lots more druid.

And by lvl13+, everything you are getting from multiclassing feels like it's just rounding out a character concept. Most players don't really need advice on what to do by this point. Or the campaign is probably/nearly over.

I can chuck up some suggestions, but there's not a lot to be had from them in many cases.

(It's not you can't get these slots from normal full caster progression with wiz/sorc/cleric multiclassing, it's just that having a wide variety of higher level druid spells is pretty handy. So's the level 10 feature. Lots of things are though. Build however you want after lvl6)
I agree. Other than Life Cleric 1, it's better to stick with straight Shepherd unless you like multiclassing.