Quote Originally Posted by monkey3 View Post
I knew someone would reply with this (imo a cop-out of an answer). Rule Zero is no excuse for the writers to get lazy. They pretty much say such and such a thing is not possible for a pc (zombie must be humanoid only) then go ahead and make non-humanoid zombies. The is lazy or inconsistent as best. If I have a contractor build me a house, "I left the windows for you to install" is not acceptable.

Why do you folks let WoTC off so easily? As much as we pay for their stuff, it is not unreasonable that after many years, they should go ahead and fill in some of these rule holes.
This is a game where players can choose to do almost anything. If you wanted to make rules to cover home bases including every type of building and every conceivable thing that could be in it, you'd have an entire book just for that. And if you shrink it down, the new complaint becomes "well why isn't X included in the rules?"

Expecting every possible action and situation to have official rules is a little silly.

That being said, in some cases where a base of sorts is part of a campaign, they have put in rules for it. See Trollskull Manor from Dragon Heist.