1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

Quote Originally Posted by Aliess View Post
    Everything from 2nd is my stock answer. Third really dulled the game down so you could put more models on the board, although I did like the changes to melee so you don't have to do it one model at a time.
    The changes to speed up melee were excellent, as were the changes to determining To Hit rolls and Armour Penetration replacing Armour Modification.

One of the worst things about 8th edition that had me seriously worried was that it went back to that type of system - fortunately nowhere near as comprehensively, but in 2nd Edition you had to measure the range of every model in the unit, because 1/16th of an inch different would mean an extra -1 to hit and they all had to be worked out with other modifiers (target in partial or half cover, did the shooter move this turn, does the target have equipment or an ability to change the value...) individually.

In 7th edition, 5 marines in a shooting phase was "I have five marines, they have Rapid Fire, 3's to hit, roll 10 dice, 4's to wound, roll your Save if you have one"; 2nd Edition had at least 3 more steps even before you had hit and tried to wound anything. Thankfully 8th didn't go back down that road, but the framework for it was there.

I kind of miss the alternative Turn Actions that were in the game in 2nd/3rd edition, though - when Overwatch or Going To Ground had to be designated as an action rather than applied as a Stratagem, for example. I understand why it was taken out - games would grind to a halt as both armies capped an objective and then sat on Overwatch for 4 turns waiting for the other to try and do something about it - but at the same time it was more fun and tactically suspenseful than just "shoot or run" every turn, and it encouraged you to do things that would interact with your opponent's turn in more ways than just cycling your deck because they can't stop you.

I too miss Tank Shock, and Ramming. It almost never came up but having the option was always entertaining if not sensible.

Things that I am *definitely* glad are gone:
    Unique Weapon Penetration rules (Dreadnoughts had 22AV on their front. Lascannons used to roll 3d6+9, Heavy Plasma Cannons had 1d10+1d8+1d6+10 - good luck finding a d8 in the early 90's UK).

Vehicle Damage Tables (My Lascannon just broke the front armour of your Dreadnought! Now roll a 1d6 to determine where I've hit it, and then another 1d6 to arbitrarily decide if absolutely nothing happens or it explodes and kills the unit standing next to it; this is fair and fun.)

Squats (I don't care what the "retro" article on Bell of Lost Souls says, or why Goonhammer thinks they should be brought back; Squats were bad mechanically, thematically, aesthetically, and even people who collected them were pretty glad when they were put out of their misery.)
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-04-07 at 05:03 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation