1. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: New kids in the class. Let's watch and discuss, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season 1 Episode 4
    The Last Outpost

Stardate: 41386.4

Plot:

The Enterprise is chasing after a ship of Ferengi design. It stole some kind of T-9 energy converter from and unmanned station (Something that would be easy to do, since unmanned means low security) and end up in a particular solar system.

This solar system is revealed later to be part of the TKON empire. After arrival, with a minor shot or two, both the Enterprise and the Ferengi are rendered immobile. Initially, the crew that the Ferengi are doing it, but learn every quickly after talking with the Ferengi leader, that they aren't.

A probe sent out reveals the force fields come from the planet below. It appears to be something worth investigating. Also, the planet thing is probably what also read through the Enterprise's databanks. That makes it definitely worth investigating.

Also, the Ferengi are mentioned as being like Yankee Trades and ascribing to "let the buyer beware" school of trading. And are described as capitalists (I think the Federation became a communist state or something)

The Ferengi and the Enterprise send a team down to the planet to investigate. They discover some giant crystals interspersed among plants and rocks. There is some engagement between the two groups, and the Ferengi zap our crew with some energy (Water Tubes, like you would use for in pools) and examine them. Then there is the bit with Yar and her having clothes.

The group manages to awaken or cause Portal, who guards the portal to the TKON Empire, which appears to test the characters. A bit of talk and an examination of human thought is carried out. after some exchange, Portal shows an interest in learning more about what has happened since the last age that it knew of.

The Ferengi, with prodding from Portal, return the T-9 device. Both ships get all there power back, and they end up leaving. Riker suggests beaming over some Chinese finger traps.

Rating:

3 - Average episode: OK to watch, but nothing amazing. This should be the default score. {Episode}
    to
    2 - Poor episode: Not too bad but has one or two week areas (Poor plot, weak character use, bad effects) {Ferengi as Future Villains}

[Episode Commentary]

This is the episode where we are introduced to the Ferengi as a race. They, the actors playing them, were told to act like excited gerbils. That translated out to them jumping around a little bit and waving their arms and hands a bit. It ends up being a bit much. One of the actors is Armin Shimmerman, who will go on to play Quark on Deep Space 9

The Ferengi are basically a version of Yankee Traders and are very much charaictures of some groups. They make for an interesting display.

Sadly, there were plans to make the Ferengi a new villain race. That of course doesn't work out and the episode goes to some lengths to effectively defang them before the episode is over even halfway that they will not work. Basically due to the portrayal, the writers and Gene ruin any chance of seeing them as actual threats. That will force them to shift the Ferengi to different roles. There is also a replacement needed to be made because of that. This means that the writers don't have a replacement villain for the Klingons or the Romulans.

The Ferengi will go to appear some more and go on to great portrayal as comic relief, until Deep Space 9 humanizes them up.

Wesley has not showed for the last episode or this one. Which is interesting. It will also change some as we go along here.
    Last edited by russdm; 2021-04-08 at 12:05 AM.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)