1. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Hang on, sorry, the entire game up to 7th ed was ruined?
    Having played through 5th Ed.'s 'Mech is King' era, and what 'You can't hurt Vehicles, lol' did to the game, yes.

Str 4 not breaking AV14 was "ruined" was it?
    Having played through 3rd Edition, with Land Raiders, and "If you don't have Meltaguns, you lose." era, yes.

Man, you could have saved yourself so much time if you'd known the game you wrote dozens of battle reports for was irredeemably ****!
    No. What I had then, was what I had, and it was great, because I didn't know any better.

I played through 8th Ed., and - despite Drasius' objections to the contrary - that was the best edition ever. I have no desire to go backwards. One of the reasons that 8th Ed. was so good, is that with enough dice, with enough re-rolls, with Stratagems and with Psychic powers, and with resource investment, S3 attacks, were actually competitive against Knights. The fact that you could have a Knight Castellan, and Hormagaunts or Cultists or Guardsmen, on the same battlefield, was part of what made 8th Ed. great. The diverse meta, in playstyle. Because all attacks matter(ed).

I have no desire to see 'invincible' units ever again. The problem is that those units are actually cropping up again, now. Rather than saying "Those units shouldn't be in the game." or those rules shouldn't be in the game, we've got players saying "Not only should those units/rules be in the game, but my Faction should have them too, so that there's even more of them." As I've brought up a couple of times now, the more Mortal Wounds are introduced into the game, the more it is necessary to defend against them. However, in most cases, anything that defends against Mortal Wounds, defends against everything else, too.

Now, maybe there's a way to do it that makes sense;
    Regularly Resilient. This model has Ignore Wounds (5+) against attacks with a Strength of 3 or less.

...or maybe against attacks that have AP-? Not sure. But I do know that bringing back "Your unit is 100% useless against my unit." is very definitely a step backwards.

"It takes 894 Lasguns to destroy [unit]."

Spoiler: Hell Yeah
    Show
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2021-04-08 at 05:21 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome