Karl ushers the other two on to the car, and indicated for Fred to take the front passenger seat, staring Gabriel down if need be.

Once in, he sighs, finally able to speak freely, "I don't know if I ever properly conveyed my sympathy for your loss Fred. I'm sorry."

"I've pulled a few strings, and we should have a much better idea of who actually did it shortly. Whoever actually did it, I suspect it was at the orders of a Kindred called Schultz, and I think they were supposed to kill you instead. Schultz was the one who told me that my wife and daughter survived the war, and that you existed. But then in the same breath he threatened to harm you."

"For what its worth, Schultz died that same night, him and his boss. There was something of a brief insurrection, that's why I tried to get you and yours out of harms way. The, uh... political landscape here has changed a fair bit as a result since you've been gone. I've gained a good bit of influence in the process, enough that I should have little trouble keeping anyone from targeting you again."