View Single Post

Thread: How to Fix Eschew Materials

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default How to Fix Eschew Materials

Eschew materials lets you cast spells without material components that costs 1 gp or less. Thing is, a spell component pouch gives the caster an infinite amount of every material component that has no listed cost. Here's a list of spells that require a material component that has a listed cost less than or equal to 1 gp:

Detect Thoughts: 1 cp
    Gentle Repose: 1 cp per eye on corpse
    Fabricate: The original material (only applies to items for which the raw materials to craft cost 1 gp or less)

That's it. 3 spells in the entirety of the player's handbook that fall under this condition. There may be others in non core books, but the point is that there are very, very few cases where this feat is useful. In my game, I've increased the gp equivalence to 250 gp, which allows for you cast stuff like identify, stoneskin, true seeing, and others without paying. I don't know if this is the best way to solve this, but please let me know if y'all have a better solution (or a reason not to change it in the first place).

Edit: I've been informed that it is a move action to take a component out of the component pouch. Eschew materials let's you bypass that, making it much better than I originally thought. Thanks for the feedback!

Edit (again): Previous edit has been questioned, looking in chapter 8 (Combat) of the players handbook under the actions in combat section, it specifically says preparing a spell component to cast a spell is a free action that provokes no attack of opportunity. Continue informing me of eschew materials use cases, nothing to see here.
    Last edited by Hachristo; 2021-04-09 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Retraction Retracted