View Single Post

Thread: D&D Base Class Contest XV Chat Thread

1. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest XV Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Hmm. Having had a look at this again I think that the main class is not unreasonable. Spellslinging is powerful, but that isn't at all a reason not to like it. As a level 5 power boost it is appropriate. I think that the class really only exceeds what is reasonable in the subclasses. When I was doing some sorcerer comparisons it was with the thermalist, which might have been the issue. Inflicting vulnerability at level 6 is a massive boost (alongside spellslinging which is a glorious interaction) and the better than sorcerer damage boost at half the level from prolonged exposure.

Honestly, even these abilities are... kind of not too bad, just too soon. If you swapped the order of the abilities round so it wasn't so front loaded and the better abilities came online later then I think it would be better; Prolonged exposure at 9 and antipodal anihilation at 14 is much more reasonable.
    That's a pretty good idea, looking into it. EDIT: Still mulling this over, but a minor nerf for now: the damage from ignited/iced happens at the end of turn, not the start. This gives the enemy the option to avoid it entirely.

I went ahead and made Fire-At-Will "1 action" only at all levels of play. At 11th level the feature is almost a ribbon, since 1st level spells deal the same damage as cantrips at that level. When Arcane Wellspring allows second level spells to be used like this at 17th level it's still mostly keeping on-par with cantrips in terms of damage, but with much better AoE abilities like Shatter.

I also decided I agree with Chromatic Orb and Dragon's Breath feeling off for the Thermalist: instead I gave them two free spells known at each of those levels (Burning Hands, Ice Knife, Aganazzar's Scorcher, and Snilloc's Snowball Storm). This is more than the other subclasses get, but since the thermalist is uniquely required to keep a least one spell of each of his two damage types current, this seems fair to me.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2021-04-11 at 05:43 PM.