Quote Originally Posted by Democratus View Post
There's always a choice to be made. Players aren't slaves.

On many an occasion I have had a character behave inconsistently for the sake of the fun of the other players at the table.

If you chose to behave as if your character's "holy consistency" is more important than the table at large, that is entirely on you. It's a choice and you have made it.
I'm going to explain myself one more time. If I have to explain it again, I am going to assume that the breakdown in communication is not my fault and begin acting accordingly.

It's not the other players whose fun is being ruined here.

The GM made a choice that disrupted the game. The other players, including the one who chose to have his player act consistently, made no choices, they just continued playing the game the way they'd been playing it the entire time. This ruined what the GM had planned, and ruined the GM's fun.

"It's what my character has been doing the entire game" is a valid defense when the GM thus accuses the player of disrupting the game.

The player did not choose to be disruptive. The player did not choose to put his fun over that of the rest of the table. The player's only decision was to keep playing the way he'd been playing for the entire game to no complaint thus far. It is not his fault that the GM designed an adventure that would be derailed or disrupted by such behavior and elected not to tell him.