Quote Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
I like where you were going with this but it sort of faltered there at Good and Evil.

Maybe leave Good and Evil out of it all together. The three gods of the godhead. Add in some sort of logic for the three to not have power over the other but rather struggle against each other. Law, Neutral, and Chaos. Hum, this needs more thought but I like it.
It is true that the vibe puttered out with good and evil there. The first half of the original was made maybe months ago, but then I didn't finish it for whatever reason. I thought that I was loading a completely different auto-saved thread because my computer just crashed when I was writing a different one. So, with the memories flooding back to me, I decided to finish that idea, but I drew a bit of a blank on the Good and Evil gods, and I was tired, and discouraged from losing my other thread that I still have to redo.

However, as bland as they are, Good and Evil play a very important role just by being another pair of factions that hate each other that Chaos can play off of. They help stir the pot.

That said, you know that thing where the Neutral God owes the Chaotic god strange favors? Yeah, that was originally favors to Evil, but then I realized this put Neutrality back into its role of saving Evil from the Jaws of Good, which is something that always bugged me about its whole "balance" schtick, so I gave it to Chaos, who really needed an ally. But, that was the spark to more ideas. Something strange was supposed to be going on with all three of the "moral axis" alignment gods. Yet, I gave up because I just wanted to post the thing.

Basically, the Evil god got frustrated at the eternal battle between itself and Good (well, between itself and everybody, really), and wanted something to give it an edge. So, Evil tried to tap into some foreign nameless dimension for the power to crush the other gods, but Evil wasn't a complete fool and tricked the Neutrality God into exploring the power first (flattery will get you everywhere with Neutrality). The experiment sickened Neutrality with a chronic condition, for which only the Evil (or now Chaos, I guess) has the treatment, and tore open a hole in reality that threatened the very fabric of existence! The Good god, seeing what had happened, and seeing Evil flee the scene snivelling "I-I didn't do it!" while Neutrality turned a lovely shade of THE COLOR OUT OF SPACE on the floor, leapt into action to save the day. The Good god, reach into the hole, getting irradiated by Lovecraftian DEEP MAGIC and all, and started to pull the flaps of the world-wound together even as the corrupting energy continued to escape. With a sheer force of will, through sheer infinite love, the Good god resisted and cast out the madness, just long enough to cross-stitch reality shut with a golden thread of divine power made from the god's own blood.

But, the scars continue. Its possible that the Good god actually absorbed the power that the Evil god wanted. Every once in a while, the radiant damage spells of Good priests will become Maximized (as per the 5e Sorcerer power/3e Metamagic feat) crackle with excessive, blinding energy. The Good god, when angered, will become engulfed in a blinding nimbus of light. Gold-colored Death lasers abound for a while, then suddenly the clerical magic weakens for a time before returning to the boring status quo. Some whisper that instead of sealing the hole shut, the Good god actually trapped it inside its own body....

The Evil god got out scott free. Although, there is this one mystery where all the statues and idols in the Evil temples cry POISON ("Don't touch it with your hands!") at the same day of the year, every year. That day couldn't be the anniversary of something could it? Nah...

Oh, and one minor thing. The Law temple doesn't necessarily want to unite the world under its banner, it is happy to support another temple, or the more secular government of a massive empire, or probably even a cyberpunk megacorporation. This makes the Law god rather attractive for expansionistic cultures of all sorts. Now, the Neutrality God does the same thing, but what Law does that Neutrality doesn't do is apply itself, work had, infiltrate the hierarchy, start entrenching itself, making it a necessary part of government and harder to remove. This leads to....ironically(?) Law creating massive inefficiency which leads to Law defeating itself when it was on the precipice of conquering the world, its global civilization collapsing under the weight of its own out-of-control bureaucracy!

I think the Chaos god's words at the time were: "lol."

Okaay, actually it was more like: "I didn't, COULDN'T, even do anything, its a miracle, lol." And that's why the Chaos Temple's theology mostly sounds a lot like the insane clown posey talking about keeping an eye out for Chaotic Miracles....