Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
As a DM I'd want to avoid playing out ten moves of that chess game-by-analogy
Exactly why I'm making this collection of strategies and tactics. I often find myself, as a DM, in a position where I have no idea how my players are going to make it out of the hole that they've gotten themselves into. Finding out what happens is a large part of how I derive pleasure from the game when I'm running it. I try not to viciously act against them just because they're my players. But, the idea that a vicious in-world opponent who is their mortal enemy isn't going to do everything in their power to make the player characters miserable is ludicrous. I simply have to maintain a realistic level of reaction for such mastermind NPCs.

I don't have many issues with making organizations effectively respond to the actions of my party (although I'm always interested in learning of what others do or suggest), but I figure that not everyone knows how to engage in such strategic play. So, I'm trying to help to describe what an organization might do from the perspective that they want to survive/win and want to do so as efficiently as possible.

More often than anything else, an intelligent foe of the PCs is going to realize the danger that they represent, and will try to negotiate to add them as an asset in their own corner! I don't really have much advice to offer in that regard, so I didn't really list it. Even if the PCs have damaged the organization, negotiation and adoption are superior to the organization dissolving!