Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
I cannot begin to wrap my head around people interpreting the relationship breakdown in a way that doesn't leave V quite thoroughly in the wrong.
For fun lets try this.

Firstly assume that Vaarsuvius was involved intensively with the search for greater arcane power prior to the relationship forming.
Secondly assume that elves live ~5 times longer then a human (figures vary but middle age, old and venerable are roughly five times the age a human would have).

Taking these together that would have Inkyrius effectively getting into a relationship with somebody hyperfocused on their career and then getting mad at them for not almost immediately putting them before said career.

This could be made worse via the adopted children - we don't know how they entered the picture, but between the idea that
1. Vaarsuvius and Inkyrius gave adoption a lot of thought and discussion and signed on knowing the costs and commitment involved.
2. Inkyrius essentially made the decision while Vaarsuvius shrugged and continued with spell research.
I don't think the second option it too unlikely (but we don't know).