View Single Post

Thread: Poll: V or I?

1. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Poll: V or I?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Schroeswald's assertion is supported by the text.
    {snip}
    I cannot begin to wrap my head around people interpreting the relationship breakdown in a way that doesn't leave V quite thoroughly in the wrong.
    Because V is, quite literally, saving the world at that point when the hard choice had to be made. There isn't a RL analogy for that.

Pick me or your career is the tension before the ABD issue arose for the family. It appears to have been a long running problem for their relationship.

Pick me or pick saving the world is what V was facing after the ABD had been dispatched with.

Inky has no concept of what level V is operating on (and cannot be blamed for that - they are a baker rasing two kids) but here's the objective fact: if the world isn't saved, then Inky and the kids simple don't exist and their souls are eaten. But Inky can't see that (again, they cannot be blamed for that lack of perception) and to add to the sadness of the case V (for whatever reasons) can't or won't spare the time to sell that objective fact to them. We the reader get to see it play out, but Inky is kept in the dark.

So V eats it - V chooses to try and save everyone else in the world and V's family (macro) rather than only the family (micro) as Priority 1. How Inky perceives that, given their track record, is "here we go again, you and your arcane power" which is only partially correct but from Inky's limited perspective completely understandable.

That's one of the prices paid for saving the world.

There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-04-15 at 04:31 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society