Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
Spoiler: Theory
Show
Because they want to? Like, it's not inconceivable that there is more story they want to tell. it's not as if you have to watch it, you can just be happy with a self-contained story already.
Honestly, if I were to express a single hope for this season it's that it's equally as self-contained. One of the bigger issues permeating serialized fiction is the tendency for productions to feel the need to escalate over time even if it makes things repetitive or increasingly ludicrous.

From ST: Picard's perspective, where the first season already dealt with this huge ancient apocalyptic threat to their galaxy, saying "that's done, and now we're moving on to do something different" sound great to me personally.

Also, well, while Picard as a character does go through some growth and development, functionally his real strength as a character is how he represents this paragon of morality and humanism. That putting him in a morally complex situation is interesting because he has the rhetorical and philosophic tools to adequately engage with it whatever the conclusion may be, and seeing him go about it over the course of the narrative is usually pretty satisfying. Which is why TNG Picard is still generally enjoyable to watch despite the predominantly episodic nature of the series. Season one brought Picard back from an emotional and moral hiatus (that the series itself created) to be more TNG Picard - that was his arc, essentially - and now he can just be unambiguously Picard in a way that I hope doesn't relitigate his character.

Basically, I'm hoping for a season with a different style of conflict, different themes to discuss and consider, and a - metaphorically and I guess somewhat literally - resurrected Picard.