1. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Negative LA-Assignment : Resurrection, but no diamond here

Before saurials, before sarkriths, before even khaastas, even back in 1st edition, there always were lizardfolk. And even though it still describes them very well, that name is... a bit disrespectful. You don't call elves "long-ears", or goblins "greenfolk", do you? Well then again, you call dwarfs "dwarfs" just because they're a bit smaller than humans, and drows are literally known as "dark elves" by most people. So yeah, the common language is pretty heavily human-centric and denies other races most of their culture and specificity. I propose we riot to have dwarves be called whatever they are called in dwarf language.

Lizardfolk are in a weird situation. On the one hand, they are so obviously stronger than the gnoll that it isn't even funny (three natural attacks and +5 natural armor is absolutely nothing to scoff at, even with -2 Str/+2 Int, compared to the gnoll), but on the other, two Humanoid RHD is still too much for them to be really useable. While I didn't go for it with the gnoll, I believe the Lizardfolk are strong enough that I can use the method PoeticallyPsyco suggested for the gnoll. I will say 1 RHD, +1 LA for the lizardfolk. The RHD is replaced by the first class level, leaving it with +1 LA, which seems acceptable without being immediately better than the gnoll. However, with their 2 RHD, I really think they would be way too strong with DLA-1. Lizardfolk's characteristics are comparable with what a totemist can do at level 1, plus the ability boosts. So I'm going with DLA-0, and sorry to everyone who wanted to play them with DNLA.

And hey, if you really think they are too weak for their ECL, these are scaled-ones, so you can Pun-Pun cheese to adjust their characteristics as you see fit to get to the exact wanted power level. Isn't that nice? And next time, we will have the Locathas! I can already hear them bubbling in hope.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2021-04-17 at 12:13 PM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.