Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
Or just see if your DM is willing to go by the actual PHB text instead of Twitter, and enjoy the awesomeness that is Careful Evard's Black Tentacles. And yes, always passing your saves means you will neither be restrained nor take damage, although you do have to deal with the difficult terrain.
I mean, most of the people I play with don't look at the twitter, so if I kept my mouth shut I could probably get away with it... but my consciousness would come back and bite me in the ***, so I'd probably just check with the DM before taking the option.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
As far as PHB wording is concerned, Heighten Spell is restricted to affecting the "first saving throw" whereas Careful Spell is not. Reasonable inference: it works every time a protected creature (which you selected when cast the spell and used Careful) is asked to make a saving throw against (that particular casting of) the spell.
You see, I just think it would be cool to cast a Careful Evard's Black Tentacles on one's self or allies from melee attackers, or to throw it in a choke point, but have it that the tanks/fighters can run through, around in it without having to worry about being restrained/damaged by the spell.

So I guess the only metamagic that affects the spell effectively would be Subtle (again, not necessary when playing an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer), Extended and Quickened. I could see Quickened being useful, but I'm not too sure how handy Extended would be.