Melchizar closes his eyes briefly at Rosalind's words. Stepping to Durhelim's side, he says softly, "I wish things
could have been different."

But, his body angled to hide it from the possessed dwarf, he makes a slight gesture with one hand.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Religion) DC 30
Show
It is an archaic and now little used sign of blessing and greeting, specific to the followers of the Lovers.

Vlarath/Durhelim listens to your threats and challenges with a sneer of self-assured contempt on his face. As you reach the end, he takes half a step forward, arm raised to attack.

And in that moment, Melchizar swings his phantom blade Anathema and cuts the dwarf's head from his body.

"For Torae," he declares, kicking the body into the pit. There is in his voice a tone of wonder and discovery - or perhaps of rediscovery, as he comes full circle to the choice that began his rebellion and finally chooses his creator over his later master.

He turns to look at Rosalind, mouth working silently as he tries to find the words to express all that he is feeling.

Then he is gone, his body consumed in a column of viridian fire.

The severed head rises from the floor, floating by some enchantment. Its flesh is burning away in the heat of the same green fire that destroyed Melchizar, becoming transformed into the true image of Vlarath.

"Treacherous fool!"
the rasping voice of the dark god thunders. "Your blade and I are of the same black fire. Darkness cannot destroy darkness. But I am more than I was made to be.

"Enough of this! You want me to take the artefacts? So be it."

Spoiler: OOC
Show
Esorscher, since you specified you would see what Melchizar did before using the Crown, it remains unused.

Those who haven't already done so can roll initiative. Anyone who beats 23 may act immediately (i.e. After the "surprise round" where Melchizar is killed, but before Vlarath turns his wrath on you.