1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Fighter Concept (Inspired by Darkest Dungeon) [PEACH]

Darkest Dungeon classes are unique because they have two sets of features instead of one. Combat Skills are features that the class uses in battle, while Camp Skills are features that the class uses during exploration and downtime. For example, the Crusader class's Combat Skills are based around his heavy armor and versatile longsword, while his Camp Skills are based on his zealous convictions, which strengthens his mind and inspires courage in his allies.

In addition, a lot of Combat Skills are utilities that reflect the class's Camp Skills. For example, the Crusader can weaponize his zeal to strike fear into his enemies, or to bring allies back from the brink of death and despair.

~~~

There are already dozens of threads aiming to rewrite 5e's martial classes. The idea is rarely to buff them (they deal enough damage), but instead to expand their roles beyond "damage dealer". My solution is to take the Darkest Dungeon approach: offer one subclass that focuses on granting the widest possible variety of options in combat, and another subclass which focuses on granting the widest possible variety of utilities.

As a Fighter, your first subclass (your Fighting Style) represents the physical skills that you use in combat. Your second subclass (your Gentle Art Line of Duty) represents the mental skills that you use both in and outside of combat. By combining one of the three Fighting Styles with one of the three Lines of Duty, you can create up to 9 different fighters using your class features alone. Add ability scores, skills, equipment and feats on top of that, and I think this version of the fighter is versatile enough to represent almost any concept and allow almost any playstyle.

Check it out here

EDIT: I've gone back to this project and introduced Fighter Bonus Feats: unique feats that only Fighters can learn and that interact with their features.

I'd like everyone's help brainstorming Fighter Bonus Feats and reviewing the one's I've written!
    Last edited by GalacticAxekick; 2022-08-09 at 10:49 AM.
    Ongoing 5e Projects: