Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
Maybe a specific scenario would help. Combat Challenge time!

12th level party, 4 PCs, any builds allowed by your actual play group. (E.g. no Lore Wizards unless your DM permits them in actual play. My way of cutting down on probably-OP content.)

Don't look at the spoiler until after you post a party.

The adventure is a multidimensional labyrinth, and it just so happens that today

Spoiler: Don't Look Until You Post Your Party
Show
they stumble across the following monsters in order, with short rests in between.

1) Beholder at the bottom of a trap chute. 1-4 PCs (your choice based on how many you think would jump down to help the first guy) are trapped inside a kidney-shaped demiplane 40' in length and 20' wide and high. A beholder is here too, floating 10' up, and because this is a combat challenge all it will do is fight. When the beholder is dead the demiplane collapses and puts you back at the top of the chute.

2) A Nycaloth and a Glabrezu, also in a demiplane of the same size (for simplicity of the challenge).

3) Adult White Dragon, same.

4) Abominable Yeti and two Chasmes.

5) A Death Knight.

6) A Giant Ape with human-level tactical intelligence (knows about focusing casters, etc.) and a dozen Skulks.

7) Four Neogi Masters leveraging Hold Person and Charm plus Eldritch Blast, and two Star Spawn Manglers focus firing on paralyzed targets.

8) A Mind Flayer Arcanist and a creature indistinguishable from a Githyanki Supreme Commander (yes, allied!).

Then they find the exit and escape the labyrinth with the Tablets of the Gods which they stole last season and which they need to banish the influence of Ghroth the Harbinger, save life as we know it, and reach 13th level.

After seven short rests and eight encounters over a period of about ten hours, is your party still alive?
Oh now this seems interesting! Just to clarify, you specified PHB/Volo's/XGTE, but then the only entrant so far is entirely comprised of an Eberron race option. I know that in general you aren't a fan of Tasha's, does that extend to the whole book? Just the optional rules?

I'd like to throw some martials in, but am eyeing Tasha's subclasses so was just curious.