Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
Grenadier has features (other than subclass features at 3/5) up to level 10 so far. Here's a sneak peak:

Cauterize
At 2nd level, you learn how to use caustic and flammable reagents to seal a wound so that it can be cared for later. As an action, touch a creature. That creature gains temporary hit points equal to half their missing hit points plus your Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). In addition, if an effect, such as bleeding, would be removed by healing granted, cauterize ends that effect. These temporary hit points last until the next time the creature completes a short or a long rest.

Cauterize has no effect on constructs, undead, or creatures with immunity or vulnerability to fire damage.

Once a creature has benefited from cauterize, that creature cannot benefit from it again until they have completed a long rest.
Looks pretty dope. I like a "heal" effect that gets stronger the more badly damaged someone is.

A bit of an odd interaction with proper heals though: someone gets cauterized, then gets healed, they wind up with their normal max HP+half of whatever they were missing. Players with a certain mindset might consider deliberately reducing their hitpoints to 1, using cauterize on themselves, then healing themselves back up to full for 150% of their normal max HP+your int mod. I'm not sure how to eliminate such shenanigans without complex wording specifically reducing the tHP as normal healing occurs. But realistically, I don't see a strong reason why these should be tHP except for resource expenditure purposes. My suggestion would be to make it legit healing, restoring real HP, but at the cost of the targets' hit dice. After all, this isn't magic, you're applying biological science to assist the body's natural healing process, so it makes sense the body's healing resources would be taxed appropriately.

I'm not sure if "bleeding" is really modeled anywhere in 5e except I guess by the "dying" condition.

I also kind of feel like it should work on some constructs: the same process can weld them back together. Maybe limit it to "living creatures and creatures made of metal" so that non-metal constructs like flesh golems aren't healed.