Quote Originally Posted by Williamnot View Post
I underestimated the fighter. Spending your action to absorb as much damage as you can deal makes sense. I'm just thinking about how tank builds typically need to sacrifice their health to really do their job, but if you're going to dedicate yourself to absorbing blows, you should be able to do it well.
Awesome! Glad you agree

With the Charge, it nullifies the downside to the Lunge feature. You'd be moving up to 90 feet a round, while still retaining your action. At 20th level, monks can move 60ft without losing their action. A fighter in full plate would be moving about faster than someone who's unarmored and trained to move quickly.
A 7th level fighter can move 30 ft, Charge 30 ft, then Lunge 30 ft (total 90). Without losing his action. If he Dashes with his action this comes up to 120 ft.

A 7th level monk can move 45 ft, then Step of the Wind 45 ft (total 90). Also without losing his action. If he dashes with his action, this comes up to 135 ft.

The fighter spends his next turn's movement when he Lunges, AND he can't Lunge again during that turn. Which means he's dropping down to 30 ft.

The monk can just Step of the Wind seven turns in a row.

So the unarmored, agile monk is STILL faster than the fighter. And as he gains levels, he's going to get even faster.

That makes sense, and really streamlines it. I just like game mechanics to follow the flavoring, that's why non-magical defense would be some form of check in my opinion, but this does make a lot of sense. It's an easy answer, and works well. In the end, it's just nickpicking really.
Glad you agree!

Guardian just raised a red flag for me. Your fighter concept is really cool. The Herald opens some interesting oppurtunities for roleplay, and Medic has been something I've wanted in fighter for a while. I would gladly play your fighter over the current version.
Please, do! And tell me how it goes at your table!