Quote Originally Posted by thoroughlyS View Post
I meant to elaborate on this, but guess I forgot. My goal with this rework is to redefine the monk's main action routine on each turn. Ideally, the monk's turn is move, Attack action (attempt stunning strikes after 5th level), bonus action martial arts attack, move out. I don't want them relying on Flurry of Blows for reasonable damage. But I want to do this in a way that isn't just more attacks like the fighter.
Why not? Their main damage feature is literally called "flurry of blows." Two is not a flurry. If anything, they should have more attacks than the fighter. In 3.path they were designed to emulate the massive number of attacks available to two-weapon fighters, which is (with feats) more than twice what baseline fighters get. They draw thematically from anime and martial arts movies where "impossibly fast combatant hits a guy a thousand times in a second" is second only to "exactly one single perfect attack and then the other guy dies about five seconds later" in terms of demonstrating mastery. It's actually kind of goofy that they fall so far behind fighters in baseline 5e, and IMO the most obvious part of any monk fix is correcting that. Conveniently, adding a third hit to either flurry or their base attack routine at level 11 is exactly what they need to become competitive with other martials in 3-4, damage-wise, as well.

(Alternately you could make them iaijutsu masters who make one attack per round, but that's a complete mechanical rework and is honestly better represented by reflavoring the rogue.)

I wasn't sure how strong I wanted this to be, do you think it could be more like Empty Body (a minute duration)? Also Daredevil's power is always active and more like blindsight. This is more like the Byakugan from Naruto, I guess?
I'd start with "until the beginning of your next turn" so you can keep it up permanently but have to keep spending ki, and see how the play feels from there.

Beyond that, I really like the Step of the Wind changes; Abundant Step and Ki Sense are also good changes to give them more out of combat utility, always a sticking point for martials. That said, I might tweak Abundant Step a bit more. The freedom of movement is excellent, but the discount fly speed is bad. You can already run along any surface, jump utterly stupid distances, and take no damage from falling (along with potentially being able to jump from shadow to shadow or fly for real). Fly that ends when your turn does doesn't actually give you any new tools, it just says "a bunch of your old tools are now obsolete and you accomplish the same thing in a less fun and thematic way that is now vulnerable to antimagic and dispelling." It would be reasonable to make it just 1 ki for freedom of movement, or perhaps just add freedom of movement to Step of the Wind at level 11.