I'm also looking forward to replaying it, though I can't justify the 25$ expense to myself right now, so I'm waiting for it to go on sale on Steam. I love the setting and think it's fascinating.

There was a companion book released in Japan around the same time the game itself originally came out. Unfortunately it's in Japanese and never got a translation, or even a release outside Japan, as far as I know, but there IS someone who's been translating it, and he even put up a site for it. https://essenceofsaga.wordpress.com/ I found out about this on the GameFAQs board, and even before the remaster was announced, the Saga Frontier board was consistently decently active, considering the age of the game..

There are a couple things I've heard about the remaster I don't care for, though. For instance, Silence. In the original PSX release, he was pretty much a 'Light locked' character - i.e. he couldn't gift for Shadow magic, because in order to recruit him you have to go through the Shadow magic dungeon in order to be able to recruit him, and for whatever reason you can only do that once. So you couldn't go back in once he was in your party and get him the gift for Shadow magic, so you had to send him to get the Light gift instead.

In the remaster, he automatically has the gift for Shadow magic when you recruit him. Which makes sense, but it still kinda sucks that you don't get a choice about it.