Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
Maybe, although getting approached by a thieves' guild member on the assumption you're totally a thief and want to join up is a bit odd whichever way you look at it--you could be a 6 foot 6 orc with a two-handed axe and a badge saying "I KIL THIEVES 4 FUN" and the same approach will be made. Then there's the fact the plotline requires you to assume that the main actors in it have sat on their hands for the last 25 years since Gallus died and only now decided to do anything, which is particularly odd in the case of Mercer Frey. Speaking of showing their hands, what is it with how these so-called thieves behave when you're forced to accompany them in dungeons? As soon as combat starts they run right into the middle of the enemy screaming insults, start hacking away with a sword, and very rapidly go down, which would be fine, except them doing that has probably pulled you out of stealth as well, so if you *are* playing as a proper thief you're kind of SOL at that point.

Thinking about it, sorry, even if you assume mobster to fix some of the more egregious terrible writing in the questline, it doesn't make it a decent questline at all, IMHO. There's just too much in it that's broken or illogical.
While the random solicitation is indefensible, I don't think the implication has been they've been sitting on their hands for forever. Mercer has basically just been skimming off the top for the last 25 years, and the plot basically catches up with "Later losers! I got all the money finally!".

Well, except for Karliah. She's just been doing **** all this whole time I guess.