Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Word of God never trumps what is in the actual story. If something isn't in the story but the author says it was, it still isn't in the story.
The Special Edition of Star Wars did not change what I saw on the screen in the '70s - not only did Han shoot first, but Greedo didn't shoot at all.
Okay, yes, if Word of God is flat out incompatible with what's in the actual story then Word of God can be erroneous. With that in mind I shall revise my statement:

If there is ambiguity in the interpretation of the content of the story one should use Word of God at the time that such content was created as the guideline for filling in the blanks. Although now I expect someone to jump out and complain that this is too vague and easily twisted to always work the way I want it to.

In the case of Han Solo there is no ambiguity. Han Solo shot first, Word of God is wrong if it claims otherwise.

In the case of goblinoids being innately predisposed towards Evil there is ambiguity.

- Fenrir creating the goblinoids is not conclusive evidence that goblinoids are inherently Evil.
- Goblinoids being created with the idea that they'd use rapid proliferation to become one of the dominant races is not conclusive evidence that goblinoids are inherently Evil.
- Goblins and hobgoblins going along with Redcloak to work for Xykon and do Evil things is not conclusive evidence that goblinoids are inherently Evil.
- Gobbotopia practicing slavery is not conclusive evidence that goblinoids are inherently Evil.

If this comes across as me setting very high standards for what counts as conclusive evidence that goblinoids are inherently Evil, then... well, yes. I'm not going to agree that goblinoids are inherently Evil just because only Evil goblinoids have been given screentime. You'd need to find me some evidence pointing in the direction that goblinoids will consistently be more inclined towards Evil than other races even if they're raised under the exact same circumstances.

So in my eyes there's ambiguity, and Word of God says that he despises the idea of writing goblins off as just inherently Evil, so if I want to actually understand the narrative that Rich is writing I have to go along with that idea unless Rich actually writes something which I just cannot reconcile with the idea that goblinoids are not inherently Evil. So far that hasn't happened and I really doubt it's going to happen.