1. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Concerns About the Progressions of the Goblin Plot (@Rich)

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    If there is ambiguity in the interpretation of the content of the story one should use Word of God at the time that such content was created as the guideline for filling in the blanks. Although now I expect someone to jump out and complain that this is too vague and easily twisted to always work the way I want it to.
    Hmm. I would say that Word of God can be useful for determining author intent, but not necessarily for filling in the blanks. This is especially true in an unfinished work, where the author still has an opportunity to put in important points. If an author never gets around to filling in an important point before finishing a work and has to supply out-of-work explanations after the fact to patch the holes the readers spot then he didn't really do his job properly.

In the case of goblinoids being innately predisposed towards Evil there is ambiguity.
    I agree. Even though nearly every goblin we've seen on stage has been evil, no, that doesn't prove that they're all evil. And since we have seen some goblins who are at least neutral (especially in Start of Darkness and How the Paladin Got His Scar), we would have to conclude that no, they're not all evil. Ogres, on the other hand...

But the reason many people are questioning whether goblins are really oppressed is that we haven't seen a lot of oppression of the goblins on stage - rather the reverse. Redcloak says "If I went into any human settlement I would be attacked as a monster" and the heroes don't disagree with him, but we've never seen an incident like this. We have no way of knowing if this is really true, and really due to racism if it is.
    Likewise Thor and Durkon and Roy can agree that goblins are all stuck on bad land and don't have the resources other races do, but we haven't really seen this. It's a case of telling rather than showing, when the writer's rule is generally "show, don't tell".
    There are good excuses for not having done this - the goblin rights subplot is not the focus of the comic - but the fact remains that it hasn't been done, and so readers can be excused for finding it questionable.
    Last edited by Jason; 2021-05-03 at 10:48 AM.