Quote Originally Posted by SunsetWaraxe View Post
Warhammer 40k is, by far, the most popular build-and-paint war game in the US. Bar none. Other games have popped up that challenge 40k for dominance but they always wind up failing to maintain their popularity (i.e. Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, Star Wars Legion, ASoIF, Mantic, Flames of War, Bolt Action, Malifaux, Frostgrave, etc.).

In May of 2020, Games Workshop operated 153 stores in the US, while it operated 140 stores in the whole of the UK. The UK is 40 times smaller than the US, yet it operated almost the same number of stores. The market penetration GW has in the UK is in a whole other league as compared to the US, where GW relies far more on independent retailers to market and stock their games.
Yeah, it kind of weirded me out going into a games shop in the US and seeing GW kits the first time it happened.

I will note that, while it's not as easy to get people together as it is for a D&D game, a 40k RPG is in my experience one of the easier sells over here. About as easy as Star Wars, which shows how massive the game is among my generation (I joke about how the only real options for teenagers in my hometown were Warhammer and amorous activities. This is a bald faced lie, as binge drinking was also an option). I also sometimes get disappointed that WFRP isn't the most popular fantasy RPG over here, and that most people I know haven't heard about games from British publishers/