View Single Post

Thread: Testing Tiamat

1. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Testing Tiamat

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    +4 is actually 50/50 at DC15, but it's a save so Wizard gets proficiency making it +9. As a save, it can further be enhanced by Bless (if it were an ability check, one would of course use Enhance Ability instead). Each COP only takes 11 minutes to cast so this is actually doable in the time Planar Binding is done by the others (5 questions each meaning 44 minutes to ask 20 questions). At double speed with the Simulacrum and the Wizard.

Like I said, I posted the saves in the roll thread. 15 on the first one (with reroll and Bless available depending on DM ruling on Bless) and 22 on the other two so all 3 pass without using Lucky, even.
    My bad on that, in my head I had check and 16.

Bless I'm not sure on: The save would happen at the end of the casting time as that's when you actually cast it, but with a minute for each the timing would have to be very precise. Just to get things moving let's just let Bless stand.

I posted the buffs. Most of those prep spells have been cast long ago I'd assume: there's no reason not to have a familiar if you're a Wizard. All it takes is 1 hour 10 mins and 10 gold. Same with most of the other stuff: really, stuff that's specifically cast for this fight is only COPs/Communes and then Heroes' Feast.
    I don't think it will amount to an issue, but I wouldn't assume anything that could be reasonably done in the days leading up to the encounter, saves on making it a more transferrable test.

My total buff loadout is:
    - Inspiring Leader speech from the Druid
    - Longstrider/Darkvision/Mage Armor on basically everyone who would benefit (turns out to be surprisingly many in this party)
    - Aid, Heroes' Feast on everyone
    - Death Ward on Simulacrums & the Bard
    - Freedom of Movement on the Bards
    - Fire Shield on Wizard and Simulacrum
    - Contingency on the 4 who can use it (Bard & Simulacrum, Wizard & Simulacrum, slots marked off for it for the Simulacrums since they need to recast it after creation)
    - Phantom Steed on all the 6 casters (the Wizard & Simulacrum both maintain 3: this takes half their uptime)
    - Rary's Telepathic Bond on all the 6 casters & Couatl and Giant Ape (Familiars don't qualify due to too low an Int but they're naturally telepathic with their masters anyways - alternating casting between the Wizard and their Simulacrum to keep constantly active)
    - Programmed Illusion on the Bards' Longbows to create a cloud of darkness on a command word (basically used to gain Unseen Attacker bonuses at range)
    What is the trigger for Contingency?

Phew, I think that's everything. Oh and due to foreknowledge of an extremely powerful entity, Bard has cast Elemental Weapon VII on Thunder (as always). There may be some errors in the statblock as editing a bunch of them so fast is a pain but I tried to be consistent and precise.
    Okay, please try and bold or something whenever someone is concentrating just so we can remember saves as necessary over a long period of time.

EDIT: While it doesn't matter in this case, to be conscientious and play like I'd normally play with a party like this, I'll say the Simulacrum uses a 3 on Tiamat's Initiative making Tiamat's Initiative roll a 3 instead.
    Thank you

EDIT#2: Oh yeah, and the Wizard actually has the Bard Simulacrum while the Bard has the Wizard Simulacrum. So the Bardluracrum acts on the Wizard's turn and the Wizardluracrum acts on the Bard's turn.

EDIT#3: And the Simulacrum has a bat, not an Owl familiar.
    Got it

EDIT#4: Should we make another thread for the fight? This could be the OOC thread in case other people wanna try different parties out too. Though I think an enclosed space like the Great Apse would make for a better fighting arena (because it would keep kiting viable but no longer an autowin and OTOH Timmy would be restricted in terms of mobility too - a featureless plains is almost never a realistic environment, though of course a simple one).
    We still disagree about autowin, but I'm good on whatever. I will note however that the Great Apse is not large enough to serve as an arena for Tiamat, she's 450ft x 150ft (using Max's number to both try and be impartial and also because I tend to not run too many Gargantuan creatures, finding maps for them is a pain. So would you like the boundless or do you have a suggestion for a bounded map that would be large enough to accommodate?

I'll make another thread and link it in the OP here, if you could just do updated statuses at the end of each turn. Do double posting rules apply here? I would hope not for clarity on turn division, but either way eh.

As in the scenario the party en masse is 60ft away from her, what lay out of characters would you go for? xs in ascii or a spreadsheet snip would be helpful so I can set the grid up accurately to what you intend. I would ask that this be a reasonable layout: e.g. since you have multiplied the party numbers and put most of them on large creatures, 20ft between each member wouldn't be reasonable as that would be an absolutely massive line.
    Last edited by Dork_Forge; 2021-05-04 at 05:49 PM.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges