View Single Post

Thread: Testing Tiamat

1. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Testing Tiamat

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    What is the trigger for Contingency?
    I have listed them on the character sheets "Effects"-list: I went with an old classic of "blink an eye alternatingly 3 times" (so right, left, right). It's something that never happens by accident but can be done at-will at practically any point. The effect is Dimension Door.

Okay, please try and bold or something whenever someone is concentrating just so we can remember saves as necessary over a long period of time.
    I'll try and make it as obvious as possible. I'll make a list of active effects at the end of each round and try to remember everything myself.

We still disagree about autowin, but I'm good on whatever. I will note however that the Great Apse is not large enough to serve as an arena for Tiamat, she's 450ft x 150ft (using Max's number to both try and be impartial and also because I tend to not run too many Gargantuan creatures, finding maps for them is a pain. So would you like the boundless or do you have a suggestion for a bounded map that would be large enough to accommodate?

I'll make another thread and link it in the OP here, if you could just do updated statuses at the end of each turn. Do double posting rules apply here? I would hope not for clarity on turn division, but either way eh.

As in the scenario the party en masse is 60ft away from her, what lay out of characters would you go for? xs in ascii or a spreadsheet snip would be helpful so I can set the grid up accurately to what you intend. I would ask that this be a reasonable layout: e.g. since you have multiplied the party numbers and put most of them on large creatures, 20ft between each member wouldn't be reasonable as that would be an absolutely massive line.
    Hmm, that's one issue with Timmy at that size. I can't think of any huge indoors terrain maps: this was the biggest cathedral I could find but at 450' across, you'd have to make that pretty small for her to be able to maneuver. We could just use Great Apse and scale it down a bit: instead of 1 square being 10', say one square is 50'. Then she's only 9 squares horizontally and 3 squares vertically, with enough room to maneuver and fly around.
    Spoiler: Aside about Tiamat speed
    Show
    Of course, in relation to that size, her speed is ridiculously low: she moves 2,5 squares per turn (about 5 when dashing) meaning it takes her two full rounds of dashing (12 seconds) to move her body's length - and this is dashing, not accelerating. By comparison, a blue whale (about 80 feet) moves at about 45 feet per second while "dashing" so 270 feet per round or about thrice their body length. And while not nearly Tiamat-sized, it's still big enough to be in a similar neighbourhood (bigger than D&D Tarrasque).

As for party, yeah, it's probably like:
    xxxxxxxx
    CDBxGAP
    xxxxxGAP
    WSQxGAP
    xxxxxxxx

GAP = Giant Ape
    D = Druid
    C = Cleric
    B = Bard
    W = Wizard
    S = Wizard Simulacrum
    Q = Bard Simulacrum

With the Couatl flying like 10' overhead. Familiars and Homunculus are on their casters' person in like backpacks or something for now (normally they'd be scouting or doing stuff but let's just pretend they needed a rest or something). Not the strategically most sound positioning but it'll do for now. All the PCs are mounted on Phantom Steeds (Wizards constantly replenish them; 2 Wizards is enough for 10 people).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2021-05-04 at 10:56 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.