View Single Post

Thread: Testing Tiamat

1. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Testing Tiamat

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I have listed them on the character sheets "Effects"-list: I went with an old classic of "blink an eye alternatingly 3 times" (so right, left, right). It's something that never happens by accident but can be done at-will at practically any point. The effect is Dimension Door.
    Ahh I see it now thanks

I'll try and make it as obvious as possible. I'll make a list of active effects at the end of each round and try to remember everything myself.
    Thank you

Hmm, that's one issue with Timmy at that size. I can't think of any huge indoors terrain maps: this was the biggest cathedral I could find but at 450' across, you'd have to make that pretty small for her to be able to maneuver. We could just use Great Apse and scale it down a bit: instead of 1 square being 10', say one square is 50'. Then she's only 9 squares horizontally and 3 squares vertically, with enough room to maneuver and fly around.
    For simplicity I'm just going to use a white grid, fluff wise it's a giant underground cavern.

Spoiler: Aside about Tiamat speed
    Show
    Of course, in relation to that size, her speed is ridiculously low: she moves 2,5 squares per turn (about 5 when dashing) meaning it takes her two full rounds of dashing (12 seconds) to move her body's length - and this is dashing, not accelerating. By comparison, a blue whale (about 80 feet) moves at about 45 feet per second while "dashing" so 270 feet per round or about thrice their body length. And while not nearly Tiamat-sized, it's still big enough to be in a similar neighbourhood (bigger than D&D Tarrasque).
    In terms of real life? Sure, but speeds don't really match to real life anyway and a whale plays by different rules being in water.

As for party, yeah, it's probably like:
    xxxxxxxx
    CDBxGAP
    xxxxxGAP
    WSQxGAP
    xxxxxxxx

GAP = Giant Ape
    D = Druid
    C = Cleric
    B = Bard
    W = Wizard
    S = Wizard Simulacrum
    Q = Bard Simulacrum

With the Couatl flying like 10' overhead. Familiars and Homunculus are on their casters' person in like backpacks or something for now (normally they'd be scouting or doing stuff but let's just pretend they needed a rest or something). Not the strategically most sound positioning but it'll do for now. All the PCs are mounted on Phantom Steeds (Wizards constantly replenish them; 2 Wizards is enough for 10 people).
    Okay I've filled in the map here:

Spoiler: Grid layout and starting positions
    Show

There's 60ft between the front line of the party and Tiamat as discussed, there's roughly a 100ft border around (from the back/sides of Tiamat and the back of the party) to work with for maneuverability. Given her size and the starting distance, any 'indoor' map was always going to be incredibly massive already.

The tokens for the PCs are sized to large to represent the mounts.

All of that seem in order to you?

Whilst filling the tokens in I did notice some irregularities in the sheets:

Wizard & Simulacrum should have AC 16 not 17 (Mage Armor 13+3 Dex)

Bard and Simulacrum should have AC 16 not 17 (Studded Leather 12 + 4 Dex)

Druid should have AC 15 not 16 (Hide 12 + 1 Dex + 2 shield)

The Giant Ape block appears to be half a Couatl block.

The ACs are consistently +1 to what they should be, but I can't see any active effects that would do that?

Once the AC thing is resolved and you're happy with the lay out go ahead and take the Druid's turn when you're ready.
    Last edited by Dork_Forge; 2021-05-05 at 02:05 AM.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges