Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
I mean, the reason for that assumption is because Dungeons and Dragons has been around so long, and cast such a wide shadow, that most gamers just default to it, regardless of specifics. Forgotten Realms, over the years, has tried to cram all those different styles you mentioned in to the same setting, and it's only become more pronounced as FR became the primary D&D setting through sheer inertia. And Pathfinder did the same thing with Golarion. When people say "Fantasy RPG," most of the time what they mean is "Dungeons and Dragons," and what I'm trying to say is that there isn't really a "Dungeons and Dragons" tier sci-fi RPG, though Lord knows Starfinder is TRYING to be that...
Yeah, I understand and agree with that (and am heavily annoyed by it). I get really, really annoyed when people mistake 'common set of assumptions' for 'generic' fpor precisely that reason. Plus urgh, D&D is so bad at Wuxia as written (but I understand this forum has worked out a decent way with ToB and 3.X), but I don't want to do another rant.

The only other RPG that is D&D tier is, honestly, oWoD, and even it's fallen by the wayside. But that's a somewhat separate discussion. But lumping all of fantasy (or SF) together annoys me because it ignores all the wonderful diversity in the genre. D&D especially annoys me because by sticking everything together it loses a lot of nuance and causes issues (do not get me started on monks versus Monks*, or the implication that Fighters aren't martial artists created by the rules).

* Oh, and how the game refuses to try to integrate them into the default fluff properly.