Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
I don't know if it's a force that pulls people to fantasy and very established IP, but the mental exertion to describe/ imagine/ visualize the world in the aforementioned is much less than unique SciFi.

If I say "you enter a warmly lit tavern, a halfing host greets you" there's enough common canon that you can fill in much of the gaps and picture a good chunk of the scene.

If I say "you enter the clean cantina, a green twi'lek host greets you" if you know star wars, there may be a few questions to help picture it. But again, a good chunk of the details can be visualized off one sentence.

Now I say "you enter the xeno-bar, a gorshmoosh host greets you", to most people that does nothing to begin painting a picture.

A lot more elaboration is required in the last example. I wonder if it isn't too taxing for the largely casual newcomers to ttrpgs.
'You enter the bar and order a drink from the bartender, her replacement arm whirring as she pours soybooze into a glass.'

See, it's easier if you give science fiction the same treatment as fantasy and actually incorporate elements of a subgenre.

'You enter the xeno-bar, and are by a lilac lagomorph in a top hat.'