Quote Originally Posted by schreier View Post
I wasn't planning on having them be too involved - more understanding the limitations. I think it's weird that a CR16 creature could empower a level 20 character for example.

From what I can tell, Warlocks don't touch the weave - do they tap into an abstract "magic" that exists everywhere? Do they tap into their heritage/internal energy given them by a pact? Do they tap into the power of the patron (what happens if their patron is destroyed/weakened/etc?) Is their power impacted by the plane they are on?

My guess is RAW now, fluff who knows ... but just asking if I missed something.
In 3.5, a warlock's power comes from the inside. Their soul is changed (you could even say mutilated) to include a wellspring of eldritch energies which they form into their invocations.

As their abilities are spell-like, a Changed Magic trait of a different plane would impact them the same way it would with a classical spellcaster.

I would need to read up on the Weave (has been ages since I touched Forgotten Realms), but IIRC spell-like abilities make use of the Weave and are affected by it like spells. If they don't (or if the rules don't say, or if you think it makes more sense) you could rule that, like psions, warlocks don't rely on the Weave and are unaffected by it.