View Single Post

Thread: What Bargain Would Redcloak Accept?

1. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: What Bargain Would Redcloak Accept?

Quote Originally Posted by goodyarn View Post
    How does his current plan prove him right? To who?

I thought the point of his current plan was to make the Gods acknowledge that the goblins deserve more and better land, and then give the goblins that land. Doesn't my solution do the same thing?
    Basically, he wants to prove that he wasn't wrong for allying with Xykon and following a reckless plan that resulted in a lot of goblins dying.
    Spoiler: Spoilers for Start of Darkness
    Show
    He claims working with Xykon and his murderous tendencies are all for the "greater good of the goblins." But when Right-Eye suggests betraying Xykon, he refuses on the basis that it would be a waste of goblin lives. Right-Eye calls him on it, and what little good it's done.

Hell, Xykon mocks him for this. He mocks him for how if Right-Eye had succeeded in killing Xykon it would mean having to admit that he (Redcloak) was wrong, and that it was his fault that all those goblins died. So rather than own up to his failures, Redcloak killed Righteye. As Xykon puts it, Redcloak following Xykon gives him an excuse to look the other way and say it's out of his hands, even though they both know that Redcloak had a choice like Right-Eye did, but like Xykon said, he's "too chicken****" to admit it.

Note the following exchange:
    Xykon: I now have every confidence that you will act to serve my interests from now on, even when I'm not really around to supervise you. I know that you'll protect my phylactery if my body is destroyed.
    Redcloak: You don't know that... I could wait until someone defeated you, and then—
    Xykon: And then face the realization that if you destroy my phylactery, you killed Right-Eye over nothing. Nothing at all. And you don't have the balls for that.
    Redcloak: I—I can raise him from the dead! I'm a Cleric, I just have to—
    Xykon: Ah, but he'll know. He'll remember that you killed him to protect me, and he'll know you for what you are: My willing slave. And man, you REALLY don't have the balls for that.

As long as he sticks to The Plan and with Xykon, he can keep claiming all of this insanity will be worth it, even if as it becomes obvious The Plan is half-baked and riddled with holes, but he ignores it because he doesn't wanna own up to his problems. His argument with his brother was the sacrifices were important and therfore, not his fault.

In fact, before the speech, he looks to his eyepatched reflection and notes "it will all be worth it". It's referring to Righteye.
    Last edited by CountDVB; 2021-05-11 at 08:01 PM.